[vorbis] Segher vetoing the Ogg Tag Recommendations

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Jul 4 00:34:32 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 06:02:27AM +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>I don't veto anything here.  I don't have a vote, even.

Word straight from Monty's mouth was that you did veto it.  Or maybe
Monty referred me to Emmett, and Emmett said you vetoed it.  Fact is,
all the objections the Vorbis core team had to the Recommendations had
been fixed and taken care of.  Except for you.  You don't want this.
You don't want people to use tags at all.  You want us to use
MusicBrainz, which is supported by Ogg in ways that are not apparent to
me at this time.

Whenever MusicBrainz is mentioned, the topic of XML metadata streams
being interwoven into the Ogg file comes up.  This may be coincidental,
but it gives me the impression that supoprt for such separate XML
metadata streams needs to be coded into the Ogg base software before
MusicBrainz can really be well supported.

I hope I'm wrong.

Jonathan

--

    It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
             but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2