[vorbis] HDCD

Michel Donais ogg at micheldonais.com
Thu Jan 30 04:34:04 PST 2003

Note: All I say in this thread is based on what I remember reading in an
old hi-fi magazine during the '90s, when HDCD went public. I still have
the first sampler HDCD somewhere in my stack. I can't say everything is
factually true, I've been out of the HDCD loop for too long.

> since we know almost nothing about it.

I do know the first HDCD encoder used a similar format for their source
materials. I don't know for recent ones, though... but based on a small
Google search, I found this
http://www.euphonix.com/post/products/model_two/HDCD_Model_Two_4p_0102.p
df and from what I can deduce, 20 bits would be the proper HDCD
resolution, while 24 being a convenience.

> > (1/32768th of quality loss... Yeehaa)
>
> No, when you remove 1 bit and you use it for other purpose, you
> add 6dB of noise (full-range) to non-HDCD enabled players.

Of course but I'd wonder who have a >90db s/n ratio on their CD player.
Not M. Everyone, I'm quite sure of it. So that bit lost won't mean a
thing to most people. Then, for the upper high end, many have HDCD
decoders so it won't matter here.

gives a very good quality, and have been on the marketplace long enough
to be able to convince many pro studios to use this format, as well as
many high-end CD players / D-A converters.