[vorbis] just an idea about quality evaluation

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Tue Jan 28 05:49:00 PST 2003

Hello John,

Tuesday, January 28, 2003, 5:05:09 AM, you wrote:

John> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:33, Graham Mitchell wrote:
>> > I also don't know of any player
>> > that supports .ogg but NOT .mp3, so why re-encode?
>>
>> Umm, ogg123?
>>
>> I'm actually not kidding; I use a modified "run as a daemon and control
>> with signals" ogg123 for my jukebox in my classroom at school.  Sometimes I
>> get some music which is only available as an mp3 (the MiniBosses, for
>> example), so I uncompress it and then go to ogg at q10.  It's stored on a
>> largish hard drive, so the occasional huge file isn't an issue, but the
>> format is.
>>
>> Of course, I won't be handing out the transcoded files to tout the smaller
>> size/higher quality of ogg. :)  Or actually handing out any oggs at all
>> other than songs I compose myself.  I don't do "file sharing".

John> Are you using any kind of 'this file was transcoded from...' comment at all?
John> I'm curious to know if there's any kind of growing de facto standard.

John> John

I guess you should use SOURCEMEDIA=MP3. I always use SOURCEMEDIA=CD
when ripping. Plus ENCODING= -q 5.0. So you know from where it came
and how did you compressed. Of course a "-q 5.0" it's not the same for
the 1.0 encoder than GT3. But that should also be in the encoder
string.

--
Best regards,
 Alejandro Belluscio