[vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

Egor Chusov egorch at hotbox.ru
Sat Jan 11 15:44:20 PST 2003

Sunday, January 12, 2003, 3:55:58 AM, Giuliano Pochini wrote:

GP> This is the first RA I listen :)))  I can't encode in RA, so I tested
GP> only your clip. I think RA sounds overall better than vorbis at 20kbps
GP> :( Vorbis at -q-1 --resample 22050 --downmix sounds just as expected: no
GP> high frqs (22KHz) and sounds like water with a constant quality. Xmms
GP> doesn't filter sound while upsampling and that adds unpleasant noise. RA
GP> destroys percussions more than vorbis but performs better on voice.
GP> Also, quality is not constant and slightly shifts "focus" back and forth
GP> from voice to music. Not very nice.

IMHO, comparing RA to Vorbis is just like you compare vector and
raster images and then say that the vector one looks more sharpen, its lines
are thinner, colors are more solid and so on. Vorbis' sound quality is
higher by design, because it encodes the full music image and
therefore maintains your better sound experience.

When someone doesn't need this he saves a speech in a txt format,
simple melody in midi (or mod, xm) etc. It's only a question of
preferences and tastes.

--
 Egor