[vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Sat Jan 11 13:55:58 PST 2003

On ven, 2003-01-10 at 01:42, Derek at CD Baby wrote:
> Thanks Jack & everyone.
>
> Here's one WAV + RM to start with, for now:
>
> http://hitmedia.com/audiotest/
>
> If you need more to do a fair comparison, let me know.  This just happened to be the only CD I brought with me today.  :-)
>
> But those are the RealAudio settings we use for CD Baby.  It's done in DOS, optimized for 20k bitrate.
>
> If you want to point me to a WAV file online, I'll encode it with RealAudio optimized for 20k bitrate, and upload to this same /audiotest/ page.

This is the first RA I listen :)))  I can't encode in RA, so I tested
only your clip. I think RA sounds overall better than vorbis at 20kbps
:( Vorbis at -q-1 --resample 22050 --downmix sounds just as expected: no
high frqs (22KHz) and sounds like water with a constant quality. Xmms
doesn't filter sound while upsampling and that adds unpleasant noise. RA
destroys percussions more than vorbis but performs better on voice.
Also, quality is not constant and slightly shifts "focus" back and forth
from voice to music. Not very nice.

Bye.