[vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jan 10 06:53:42 PST 2003

gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:
> P.P.S.: OH! Your .rm is mono! Well, that would change things to the
> favor of Vorbis again ... :) *starts more experiments*

Oh well ...

22kHz mono at q -1 turns out to have ~24kbps usually, despite its
nominal bitrate of 16kbps. So the best result I've got was with

oggenc --managed -b 20 --downmix --resample 22050 input.wav

RA still has more high frequencies (the sample rate of the .rm is
44.1kHz), and for Vorbis to support that, we'd need Garf's q -2, which
we don't have, yet. However, the result sounds good - Mrs. Kasey
Chambers doesn't have a sore throat like with RealAudio, and the music
has more presence. I think the "matter of preference" game starts here

Kasey_Chambers-On_A_Bad_Day.wav is clipping like mad, btw - that's
audible in the .ogg and not Vorbis' fault. I suggest using better source
material. ;)