[vorbis] [fwd] help encoding low-quality audio please

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Sat Jan 11 08:04:24 PST 2003

Monty> Question 3) This is my most important question.  Due to their size, I
Monty> can't keep the raw files.  But these recording are something I would
Monty> like to enjoy in the years ahead.  The computer I am doing this on has
Monty> lousy sound, and I don't trust my ears a whole lot to start with.  I
Monty> also have read, in the FAQ, about the inherent problems of going from
source->>lossy compression->uncompressed->lossy compression, as I am.  I
Monty> would like to make the best of my situation.  What "q" level would be a
Monty> conservative choice to use with the encoder?  I would rather have larger
Monty> files than save every last MB I can.  Also, are there any other command
Monty> line options I should be using?  Any and all thoughts on how to best use
Monty> OggEnc will be greatly appreciated.

FLAC is not an alternative? Or may be zipping or bziping it.