[vorbis] [support@mydivaplayer.com: Re: Ogg Vorbis support? -=[2214]=-]

Mark Nipper nipsy at tamu.edu
Fri Jan 3 17:02:50 PST 2003

        I'm not subscribed to this list, but I have been reading
the archive online for awhile now.  I thought this forward may be
of interest.  It sounds like we _might_ have Vorbis capable
players in the near future! :)

        Any more word on support from iRiver?  The hardware URL
has not been updated since they were supposedly shipping Vorbis
capable units to Xiph.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy at tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                    http://arrakis.tamu.edu/nipsy/
College Station, TX 77843-3142           AIM: texasnipsy ICQ: 66971617
(979)575-3193                                        Yahoo: texasnipsy

---begin random quote of the moment---
"All existence is conditioned."
 -- Shakyamuni Buddha
----end random quote of the moment----

Hello,

Currently we are not planing to implement .OGG in DivaMP3,
because the system is going to be overloaded.

Next MP3 player, which will be available after March-April 2003,
will support also .OGG, .WMA and eventually .MP3Pro formats.

Please, check on our website http://www.daisymm.com

Best regards,
Nick
*************************************

Technical Support
http://daisytech-usa.com

    I've been looking at getting a CF capable MP3 player for
my workouts and ran across your page (finally) after many hours
of searching.  I was immediately impressed by the fact that you
even mention Linux in your FAQ and that your player seems
supported with really no hassle at all by newer 2.4 kernels.

    Given this market awareness, I was wondering if you were
working on supporting Ogg Vorbis at all as a format?  I think it
would be a real coup for you as a company to be the first
hardware based player supporting this format.  I'm sure you are
well aware that the Xiph.Org Foundation somewhat recently
released a fixed-point library to decode Ogg Vorbis files, making
this a viable format for portable players (finally).

    I ask my question, because it seems you are in fact aware
of this market segment (non-mainstream users that is) and because
in the past I have been an ardent IRiver supporter simply based
on their attention to updating the firmware for all their
players.  Their new ifp line of flash based (albeit unexpandable)
players is very interesting in this regard, since I'm sure the
firmware will not differ too much from their other units.  There
was also talk of them actually working on Ogg Vorbis support,
although it seems to have fallen through the cracks lately.

    Anyway, I'm sure you are more aware of market forces and
although the loss or gain of this single purchase is certainly
not going to decide the fate of your company, I was hoping for
some more information from you on this subject as a potential
customer.  Thank you for your time thus far...

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy at tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                    http://arrakis.tamu.edu/nipsy/
College Station, TX 77843-3142           AIM: texasnipsy ICQ: 66971617
(979)575-3193                                        Yahoo: texasnipsy

---begin random quote of the moment---
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the armies of the
North, general of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true
emperor, Marcus Aurelius.  Father to a murdered son, husband to a
murdered wife.  And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the
next."

-- Maximus, "Gladiator", 2000
----end random quote of the moment----