[vorbis] Vorbis on Legacy hardware

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Tue Jan 21 17:05:45 PST 2003

Monty wrote:

> > I was considering the use of tremor.  There would be the obvious
> > improvement in speed because floating point operations are just
> > emulated on the 486
>
> 486SX was missing FPU, not all 486s.  Nearly all 486s came with FPU
> after the first year or so.

Actually, more 486SX's have been sold than 486DX's, iirc.  Unless you
include the DX/2, of course.

> The 486SX was originally a yield management hack; a 486 DX with an FPU

More like a sales management hack... the 486DX was just way too
expensive compared to the 386 (esp. the AMD 386).  And most applications
didn't use the FPU at all, so...

> that failed testing was sold as a 486SX with FPU disabled.  A 486 with

...they just disabled the FPU and sold it as a 486SX.  Nothing to do
with failing FPUs afaik (the failing FPU was a pentium thing ;) )

> a bad main core but good FPU was sold as a 487 coprocessor with only
> the FPU enabled.

487SX.  It had not only the FPU enabled; it was a full 486DX with 3 pins
swapped; it disabled the 486SX and took over all processing.

Segher