[vorbis] OT: good headphones?

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sat Jan 18 21:08:38 PST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:53, Craig Dickson wrote:
> I've had good luck with AKG and Sennheiser in the past. I paid about
> $140 for an AKG back around 1990; it still works today, and sounds quite
> good. I got a Sennheiser for about $220 a few years later, which no
> longer work (I suspect it's a trivial connection fault in the cord), but
> it also sounded quite good back when it sounded like anything at all.

One of the nice things about Sennheiser headphones is that many of them are
built in a quite modular fashion - if you can figure out which bit is broken,
you can probably get a replacement for just that bit from a dealer.

> I think the prices I quoted above are pretty typical for decent headphones.
> You can pay a lot more, but I've never heard a $700 pair of headphones that
> sounded significantly better than my Sennheiser (when it worked).

Anyone on the list ever listen to a set of Sennheiser Orpheus headphones? I'm
curious to find out what 10000 DM cans sound like :-)

John