[vorbis] OT: good headphones?

Craig Dickson crdic at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 18 20:53:55 PST 2003

Graham Mitchell wrote:

> I'm sitting here looking at the most recent "Musician's Friend" at headphones
> and thinking about getting a pair.  They've got products from AKG, Fostex,
> Audio Technica, Nady, Sennheiser, and Sony, at price points ranging from $16
> to $130 (list prices $20 to $200).

I've had good luck with AKG and Sennheiser in the past. I paid about
$140 for an AKG back around 1990; it still works today, and sounds quite
good. I got a Sennheiser for about $220 a few years later, which no
longer work (I suspect it's a trivial connection fault in the cord), but
it also sounded quite good back when it sounded like anything at all.

> What should I expect to pay for a decent
> pair of headphones?

I think the prices I quoted above are pretty typical for decent headphones.
You can pay a lot more, but I've never heard a $700 pair of headphones that
sounded significantly better than my Sennheiser (when it worked).

Craig