[vorbis] make lo-fi sound as good as RealAudio?

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jan 10 02:46:19 PST 2003

Derek at CD Baby wrote:
> But those are the RealAudio settings we use for CD Baby.  It's done in DOS, optimized for 20k bitrate.

20kbps seems to be RA's sweet spot. This is getting difficult with
Vorbis ... I now tried

oggenc -q -0.6 --resample 11025 input.wav
and
oggenc --managed -b 20 --resample 11025 input.wav

The result has nicer stereo than RA, but comes with less high
frequencies. Note that this isn't the lowest bitrate Vorbis can go
(16kbps/q -1 is the minimum), however, finding some odd (and
supported-by-players) sample rate that has 20kbps as the minimum for
stereo music is going to be hard. See if -q -1 at 16kHz is small enough
for your purposes... 28.8k users will have their modem maxed out with
that, but 33.6+kbps users won't have trouble with that.

P.S.: I tried a sample rate of 14kHz and -q -1 / -b 20, and it doesn't
sound very good (some odd clipping, and Vorbis sets itself up as if it
were 11025 Hz input.) I also find that Vorbis sucks on the vocals, but
the music sounds better with it (even at 11kHz).

P.P.S.: OH! Your .rm is mono! Well, that would change things to the
favor of Vorbis again ... :) *starts more experiments*