[vorbis] rc3 versus 1.0

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Thu Jan 9 16:09:35 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 06:54:10PM -0500, ben-extra at MIT.EDU wrote:
> I am sorry I wasn't clear - I didn't want to use dpkg, because of
> dependencies on other libraries would (as I understand it) mean
> upgrading chunks of my system to unstable.
>
> But, I did find back-ported packages, apparently done by Norbert
> Tretkowski.  I got them and they worked great; I am now running 1.0.0.
> I did have to do a:
>
> chipmunk:/usr/lib# ln -s libvorbisfile.so.3 libvorbisfile.so.0
>
> to make xmms work.  I don't know if doing this will break something
> else, but it works enough to let xmms run.   Packages are at:

I have been told that this (the symlinking you mention) is not a
technically sound solution. reference:
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200207/0375.html

You may have a similar problem with libvorbisenc.so.*

You might be better off keeping libvorbisfile.so.0 and libvorbisenc.so.0
from the rc3 package, so that anything originally linked against rc3 will
find the expected code.  But that still won't guarantee that old binaries
will work because anything linked against rc3 will get the old
libvorbisfile and libvorbisenc, but will dynamically link with the 1.0
libvorbis.  Nobody's ever told me whether such linking is safe, but it's
worked for me so far on Red Hat.