[vorbis] What quality should I use?

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Tue Jan 7 19:14:52 PST 2003

Corey Miller (akheron at earthlink.net) wrote:

> I'm by no means an audiophile, but I can
> tell the difference between a q3 and q4 ogg easily.  Is there any q
> level that would give me the best quality for not taking up too much
> space?

This is a personal preference.  You must decide for yourself where
your "sweet spot" is.  Nobody else knows what sounds good to you,
or how much space you consider "too much".

> How much does q10 usually use?

Enough that you'd probably be better off going with a lower quality
setting for casual listening, or lossless if you want archival.
Usually around 450-500 kbps for standard 44100/16/2 (CD) music.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |