[vorbis] Winamp vorbis crash

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Sun Jan 5 19:29:53 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 07:18, Joel wrote:

> > I have a ( more than probably corrupt ) ogg/vorbis file that makes
> > winamp lock up. If I drag&drop the file on winamp, the position
> > slider will start flashing at the leftmost position and winamp
> > does not respond to any user input any more and uses 100% CPU.
> > The only way to kill it is with the "Task Manager".
>
> I was only able to reproduce this if the file is the only entry on playlist and
> repeat is on. Else the vorbis plugin just refuses to play the file end skips to
> the next.
>
> Try dragging a second file to the playlist (gotta have it open before winamp
> stops responding). That's the only way i've found out of this lockup. (short of
> killing the app)
>
> Anyway I think you should report this to winamp since vorbis is part of the
> standard-winamp package. (forums.winamp.com perhaps?)
>
> Regards
> /Joel

That sounds like, if anything, a design problem with WinAmp.  At the end
of a song, WinAmp starts playing the next file.  If whatever library
(Vorbis, in this case) it chooses says "no, the file is missing /
corrupt", then it goes onto the next file, and wraps to the first if
it's at the end.  If there's only one and repeat is on, it keeps trying
and failing to play that one.

You can see the same effect if the playlist has many of any type of
file, and you rename the directory they're in.  You can then see WinAmp
quickly looping through the missing entries.

Possible solutions would be for WinAmp to have a delay when it skips a
dead song, a delay when it goes from the end of the playlist to the
beginning (wouldn't work for shuffle), automatically remove dead files
if they've failed too many times in a row (some people may not like
that, especially for URLs which may not always be available), or at the
very least call the event loop in between songs so the UI has a chance
to intervene.

--
Tom Felker

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.