[vorbis] MP3/Vorbis comparision

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Sun Feb 9 09:01:36 PST 2003

Frank Grotelueschen wrote:
> >I played all your files and couldn't hear what you objected to. What should
> >I listen for?
>
> The ogg-files produces a too sharp sound. The level of high frequencies
> (above 10 kHz) is too high. Maybe they are amplified with 2 or 3 dB or so,
> i think. It is very audible at quality 4. With higher quality setting this
> boost is reduced more and more.

If I remember correctly, various discussions about this topic resulted
in two things:
1. There will be another tuning round for Vorbis eventually, but it's
not top priority at the moment (Vorbis is good enough for most people
the way it is now, and there are more important things at hand, for
example libogg2 and Theora).
2. To really help Monty fix things, he needs hard data, not anecdotes.
Many anecdotes (more problem samples, more descriptions of the same
problem, etc) don't help, i.e. are not useful data.

Admittedly, I don't really understand/know what he really needs, and I
kinda doubt that I, for my part, can provide it. Maybe you can tell some
about it, Monty?