[vorbis] Hardware List Draft

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Tue Feb 4 14:21:41 PST 2003

Here's a list of non-PC hardware I found that supports Vorbis, with
links and short descriptions.  It's still kind of rough, and I don't
have personal experience with any of these things, though where noted, I
have gotten email from the company.  This is still just a draft.

I've made links, and also left the URLs after the headings so it
converts to text well.  Following the entries are some notes, including
relevant correspondence I've had with the companies, which probably
needn't be put on the web page.

The projects part is still a little sketchy.  I have this as
Evolution-generated HTML, but on this list that's evil.  Sorry if the
text conversion isn't great.

The Pontis SP600 is news to me, and soon iPod, running (uC)linux and
Tremor, should have playback support!

Still a little rough, if anyone has suggestions, links, corrections,
more info, please let me know.
__________

This is a list of hardware, from PDAs to DVD players, that can play Ogg
Vorbis files.  Hopefully you can find what you want, if not, come back
next week:  several companies who can see the value and popularity of
Vorbis are working to support it on their hardware, and soon there will
be portable music players that can play Vorbis.  This list of hardware
companies you can ask for Vorbis support also includes information
projects th  If you know of any other hardware or projects, please let
me know.

LINKS
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/hardware.html
mailto:tcfelker at mtco.com

Hardware that can play Vorbis now:

PhatNoise's PhatBox, Kenwood's Music Keg
    These are MP3 players that you put in the trunk of your car and hook
    up to your car stereo.  Both players run ARM-Linux, and unofficially
    support playback of both Ogg Vorbis and FLAC files.

    NOTES:
    From their tech support:
        "Yes, the PhatNoise Music Manager (PMM) can encode to Ogg
        format.  Support for Ogg on the PhatBox or Music Keg is
        unofficial.  Oggs can be played on the PhatBox and Music Keg
        without transcoding by using the binaries available at
        http://phatbox.sixpak.org/phatbox/ogg.phtml.  Because support is
        unofficial, transfer of the Oggs cannot be done through the
        PMM.  Instructions on manually adding Oggs are also on the
        unofficial site."
    LINKS:
    http://www.phatnoise.com/products/index.php - product page
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/excelon/excelonKeg.jsp - product page
    http://phatbox.sixpak.org/phatbox/ogg.phtml - where to get the
    software
    http://flac.sourceforge.net - is this the best link?  I doubt this
    can yet play ogg-encapsulated FLAC.
    http://www.xiph.org/archives/tremor/200209/0008.html - the only
    non-passing reference to this on vorbis-dev, also where I heard it
    uses ARM-Linux.

Palm Tungsten T
    Using NormSoft's Pocket Tunes software ($14.95, free 15-day trial),
    the Palm Tungsten T can play Ogg files.

    NOTES:
    It seems fair to say up front you have to pay for it.
    LINKS:
    http://www.palm.com/products/handhelds/tungsten-t/
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/ - where to get the software

KISS Technology's DP-450 and DP-500 DVD Players
    These DVD players can play Vorbis files from a CD-R and CD-RW,
    despite some quirks with UTF-8 tag display.

    NOTES:
    Is it wise to note the problems?
    I don't know how to deep-link to that site.
    A previous post confirmed it works for the 450, but from KISS's tech
    support:
    My question:  "I've heard the DP-450 supports Ogg Vorbis files on a
    CD-R; does the DP-500 or any others support that?"
    Their answer:  "They will at the moment both 450 and the 500 support
    Ogg but only as Audio standalone files."
    (I'm can't quite parse that sentence, but it seems to mean the 500
    will work similarly to the 450.)
    LINKS:
    http://www.kiss-technology.com

Sharp's Zaurus
    Using theKompany.com's tkcPlayer software, the Zaurus, a PDA which
    runs Linux, can play Vorbis files.

    NOTES:
    Again, is it wise to mention cost?
    ...and is available as part of theKompany.com's embedded suite or as
    a standalone application. The standalone version is priced at $9.95,
    while the embedded suite is $74.95.

    LINKS:
    http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/TypeLanding/0,1056,112,00.html -
    product page (any better links?)
    http://www.thekompany.com/embedded/tkcplayer/ - where to get the
    software
    http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,698,00.html

MPST Digital Jukebox
    The MPST Digital Jukebox is a Linux PC designed for audio playback
    and sold as a stereo component, which of course can play Vorbis.

    NOTES: calling this a non-PC is really a stretch.  Any opinions on
    if this belongs here?
    LINKS:
    http://www.mpsharp.com

Projects to support Vorbis:

Pontis's SP600 Portable MP3 Player
    Pontis's will release a firmware upgrade "soon" for the SP600
    portable music player, allowing it to play Vorbis files.
    NOTES:
    http://www.pontis.de/site_e/produkte/pl_600_e.htm
iPod
    Having nothing to do with apple, some people have uClinux (Linux for
    CPU's without MMUs) running on this.  Right now, they are decoding
    Oggs at .8x, with hope for improvement.

    http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/

iRiver
    Xiph.org is working with prototypes from iRiver to create a (new,
    right?) portable music player which can play Ogg Vorbis.
    Development is continuing at (xiph/hardware)"a breakneck speed".

    The demo board is sitting on Monty's desk, and testing continues at
    breakneck speeds. It's looking good so far. More news as it it
    relevant, okay? If we update this site every day, we won't be
    workin'. :)

    LINKS:
    http://iriver.com/

Neuros
    The Xiph.org Foundation has entered into a preliminary agreement to
    bring Vorbis playback to the coming-soon Neuros Digital Audio
    Computer. We have prototype units now, and hacking has already
    begun. The units will be on the market soon, with Vorbis slated to
    be playable this spring.

    Please do not run out and purchase this device immediately, assuming
    that Vorbis playback will be supported by Neuros. The firmware we
    write for them (codenamed 'NeuRosetta') will be documented in its
    creation, and we'll have a site up to document the progress. When
    that site says it's 'safe' to buy the unit, then it's safe.

    That being said, we're contracted for the work, and we'll be hacking
    like crazy to get it ready for you ASAP. Constantly bugging us about
    this work will certainly not help it get done faster, and pressing
    on Digital Innovations for details will probably drive them insane.
    Details will be posted as soon as details can be posted. Thanks!

    LINKS:
    http://www.neurosaudio.com

Frontier Labs
    Frontier Labs has contacted Xiph.org directly, and Xiph.org is
    currently working with them to investigate the possibilities of
    Vorbis playback on the Nex II and Nex IIe portable music players.
    There are no guarantees that this hardware will be sufficient to
    play Vorbis files, but if it can be done, then we will do it. More
    information as it comes!

    NOTES:
    Obviously a paraphrase from the hardware page.

    LINKS:
    http://www.frontierlabs.com
    http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/hardware.html

--
Tom Felker

This is exactly the kind of language up with which we will not put.