[vorbis] Why FLAC, why not MAC? [Off-Topic]

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Sat Aug 30 16:40:30 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 10:26:57AM +0100, John Denton wrote:

> > (Besides, I'm now quite happy with FLAC which is achieving file sizes
> > around 20% of the RIFFs from which they are sourced.
>
> Really?  Why bother with Ogg? Several tracks I compressed to Ogg yesterday
> (at a quality setting of q6) weight in at about 15% of the original wav -
> the 5% saving on your figure hardly seems worth the effort.

This one point is constructive, and could even be valid if it didn't
compare apples to oranges.

My audios are mainly speech with little stereo content.  I chose one at
random (a roughly half-hour segment of a committee meeting) and crunched
some numbers.  The table below shows the relative file sizes of the
row compared to the column and shown as a percentage.  (So, the FLAC is
23.1% of the RIFF file size.)  The Speex figures have been adjusted for
a 32kHz sampling rate (ultra-wide band); except for FLAC --best and the
indicated Vorbis quality, default settings have been used throughout.

                        RIFF	FLAC	 (q6)	 (q4)	 (q2)

        Vorbis (q6)	 9.5	41.0	  --	  --	  --
        Vorbis (q4)	 6.2	26.9	  --	  --	  --
        Vorbis (q2)	 5.0	21.8	  --	  --	  --
        Speex		 3.7	14.9	 31.7	 48.3	 58.7

do seem to have a /raison d'etre/ after all.  It would be interesting
(but probably only to me) to see how MAC fares on this sort of material.

John