[vorbis] is ogg flac ready to be used by the average user?

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 22:22:32 PDT 2003

--- Sergey Meniailenko <sergeymk at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post, but while we are on the
> subject of flac, here's my question:
>
> Is the current version of ogg flac (encoded with flac.exe from the
> official flac website) some kind of beta implementation or is it a
> fully compatible release that will continue to be supported by future
> applications?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because I get the following error message
> when encoding:
>
> WARNING, cannot write back seekpoints when encoding to Ogg yet

What 'flac --ogg' writes now is a subset of what it will write
in the next release.

Currently there is no support in libFLAC for seeking in Ogg FLAC
files but once that is there, the seekpoints will be written as
they are with native FLAC.

You can always add seekpoints later with metaflac (using the next
release).

The FLAC-into-Ogg mapping is stable though.

Josh

Do you Yahoo!?
http://search.yahoo.com