[vorbis] Which encoder ver to use?

Adam Scriven scriven at lore.com
Mon Aug 25 09:56:27 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:46:07AM +0200, Andrew Snare wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 05:22:31PM -0700, Adam Scriven wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:38:31PM -0500, Jonathan wrote:
> > > If you'd rather wait, I'd suggest you wait until 1.0.1 or when Garf's
> > > tunings are merged into the main CVS tree.  1.0.1 is supposed to be mostly
> > > bugfixes, while 1.1 is supposed to be massive low-bitrate tuning.
> >
> > Which version is estimated to contain Garf's tunings, or are his considered
> > low-bitrate (I wouldn't have thought so, if they cover q5-10)?
> >
> > Thanks, I'm always curious about when to start my massive CD rip for real.
>
> I'm thinking about starting a rip project for my collection as well.
> Because of the uncertainty inherent in ripping to a lossy format,
> I'm going to rip using FLAC for 'archival' purposes. That way it's
> possible to re-encode to whichever lossy codec is best down the
> track. If I start to have disk space problems then maybe it'll be
> worth tossing some FLAC streams, but I think that's something to
> worry about when the time comes.

Yup, I've used FLAC too, but not for archival.  I archive my music on CD's
whenever possible, at least for now, I'm only ripping them to get make them
streamable for my own tests and whatnot.  I'm not worrying right now about
having my complete collection in a digital jukebox-type thing (running out of
hard drive space as it is!).  I'd rather download WAV files than any compressed
format, and so FLAC is perfect for that. :)
But I don't think I'd stream FLACs, at least not with my current bandwidth.

Adam