[vorbis] voice -only broadcast

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Thu Aug 21 09:36:53 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:53:42PM +0200, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi
> I'm actually running an icecast server to broadcast voice .
> I'm not broadcasting music at all .
> Would it be better for me to use speex ?
> Is there an icecast-like broadcast server for speex ?
> Would there be a way to read the braodcast stream under windos and MacOs and
> Linux ? ( Winam or else ... )
> Thenks inadvance ...

Well the first problem is players.  As far as I know there's only two
players that can receive an Ogg Speex stream, XMMS and Foobar2000.

This problem, and the lack of support in Icecast, will soon be over.
This handy-dandy library that Monty is putting together called OggFile
will give all Ogg players support for speex (and flac, theora, etc) as
well as give Icecast support for streaming Ogg Speex.  It'll even let
you mix the stream, so you can use Speex for speech-only parts but still
use Vorbis when you want music.

All in good time :-)  This solution will probobally be available close
to the end of the year.