[vorbis] Ogg streaming on low bandwidth

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Wed Aug 13 23:06:43 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 03:50:46PM +1000, engdev wrote:

> I am not after great audio at this bitrate, mono with an audio
> bandwidth less than 5KHz. I have done some testing (not streaming
> though) listening to 8Kbps MP3 - it's pretty bad, but sufferable.

The same is true for ogg.  Drop it down to a low samplerate (11 or 8),
mono, and you can get really really low bitrate Ogg.  8kbps, I think
I've managed as low as 4kbps, but it sounded horrible.

www.icecast.org (server) www.oddsock.org (client and windows icecast2)

> I am running Wintel.

Recommend running GNU/Linux for this.  More flexibility.

> PS: I can't use speech codecs (such as speex) because of the content,
> it's not speech (obviously - otherwise I would go that way!)

If you're streaming music, may I suggest that low bitrate is not what
you're looking for.  Instead try to go Wifi, or get a better phone, or
grab one of those high bitrate satellite modem things that cost more but
provide good coverage and bandwidth in remote parts of africa, middle
east, etc.  I know someone that did a live video feed from Iraq during
the war using one of these things, was quicktime vp3 but it worked good.