[vorbis] Ogg streaming on low bandwidth

engdev engdev at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 13 22:50:46 PDT 2003

Hi,

Was wondering if any gurus could tell me if it is possible to stream Ogg on very low bandwidth links (for example satellite phone) where the expected bandwidth would almost certainly be less than 19Kbps, and probably more like 10Kbps.

I am not after great audio at this bitrate, mono with an audio bandwidth less than 5KHz. I have done some testing (not streaming though) listening to 8Kbps MP3 - it's pretty bad, but sufferable.

Is this possible?

Can anyone direct me to some tools that I can test this with? (ie: a server app & a client)

I am running Wintel.

PS: I can't use speech codecs (such as speex) because of the content, it's not speech (obviously - otherwise I would go that way!)

Thanks,
Owen.