[vorbis] more on 128k listening tests

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Tue Aug 5 10:14:16 PDT 2003

Graham Mitchell wrote:
> I remember hearing that there was a sound quality issue which boosted high
> frequencies by 1 or 2dB in Vorbis files at less than q6 or so.  Does anyone
> know if this still the case?

AFAIK, yes, it´s still the case. However, I was never able to hear it -
those guys at hydrogenaudio seem to have a) better equipment b) better
ears c) better perception than me. I´m sure they can spot this artifact
easily - they had more than a year for training ;-)

GT3b1 should be better - but this is for higher bitrates, only.

I have no idea if Vorbis 1.0.1, which could appear in the forseeable
future, has any quality fixes - perhaps it is "only" a bugfix-release
for helping people that have trouble with compiling/installing Vorbis on
their platform (Solaris etc.).

A big jump in quality is promised for Vorbis 1.1, which is supposed to
have heavy improvements in mid- to low-bitrate regions (monthly meeting:
"AAC+SBR killer"). Only time will tell...

Maik