[vorbis] Why FLAC, why not MAC? [Off-Topic]

Nescafe nesca at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 29 18:40:41 PDT 2003

> For archiving, it's also important that in the future you are able to
> decode the compressed audio. One fear that I have is that in 10 years
> time Monkey will have gone away, and my new computer won't be able to
> run the Win2k executable that is the only tool I have for decoding the
> archived files. This is not silly - it took me a lot of effort to
> recover the files off some Commodore 64 floppy disks in 1995, when I
> could still get a C64 to read the disks...

Nice one, I must agree. I know this is a true problem with all computer
archived content. I heard one NASA had tons of data from the Apollo program
they couldn't recover nowadays, 30 years latter, simply because the reading
hardware no more exists... I felt pretty lucky when I managed, with a
dedicated software, to get back some of my Atari 1024 floppys from 1989 on a
2003 PC, so I do understand this point of view. Way more serious than
philosophical concerns about opened or closed source in my opinion.

> I'm confident, however, that regardless of the legal stuff that might
> come along, GNU will run on available hardware and allow me to decide
> whether it's worth while building the software for the hardware that I
> have available.

Then trust in WINE + MAC... :-)