[vorbis] Why FLAC, why not MAC? [Off-Topic]

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Fri Aug 29 17:40:56 PDT 2003

Nescafe wrote:
> I would if I had to uncompress it frequently. For archival purpose,
> I guess I would look forward to the smallest filesize, whatever the
> processing cost.

For archiving, it's also important that in the future you are able to
decode the compressed audio. One fear that I have is that in 10 years
time Monkey will have gone away, and my new computer won't be able to
run the Win2k executable that is the only tool I have for decoding the
archived files. This is not silly - it took me a lot of effort to
recover the files off some Commodore 64 floppy disks in 1995, when I
could still get a C64 to read the disks...

I'm confident, however, that regardless of the legal stuff that might
come along, GNU will run on available hardware and allow me to decide
whether it's worth while building the software for the hardware that I
have available.

Moz

mailto:lists at moz.co.nz
Moz's bike site: http://www.mozbike.com