[vorbis] Which encoder ver to use?

Jonathan ariakis at comcast.net
Fri Aug 22 10:38:31 PDT 2003

Right now, the 1.0 and Post-1.0 CVS versions would be roughly the same at
q7... Unfortunately, Xiph's libraries have very little noticeable quality
improvement past q6, so if you'd like to encode that high, I'd suggest using
one of Garf's tunings (available at sjeng.org, or Rarewares).  They're
specifically tuned for qualities 5-10, and achieve better quality than
Xiph's libraries, albeit with a slightly higher bitrate per quality level.

If you'd rather wait, I'd suggest you wait until 1.0.1 or when Garf's
tunings are merged into the main CVS tree.  1.0.1 is supposed to be mostly
bugfixes, while 1.1 is supposed to be massive low-bitrate tuning.