[vorbis] Renice ogg123

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 14 23:32:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:46:04AM -0500, Tom Felker wrote:
| On Thursday 14 August 2003 10:25 am, Björn Lindström wrote:
| > I'm thinking of writing some sort of SUID wrapper for ogg123 that will
| > always run it at maximum priority for use with mpg123.el on my Linux
| > system.
| >
| > I just wanted to check first that I am not duplicating efforts
| > here. Has anyone already written a tool like this?
|
| I haven't tried to figure this out for myself, but I think the sudo command
| can do that.  It's a generic SUID thingy that lets you chose commands users
| can run as root, so you could probably allow "nice -n -5 ogg123 *" and
| nothing else.

This sounds as though it'd have the problem of allowing a normal user to
overwrite an arbitrary file (possibly including /dev/hda) with an WAV
file produced by ogg123, and also to read any Ogg file owned by other
users regardless of file permissions.  Ideally you'd want a setuid
wrapper which bumped up its scheduling priority, gave up root
priviledges, and forked ogg123.

On the other hand, for a single user system in which the administrator
is really the user anyway, it would probably be fine.

Cheers,

Cameron.