[vorbis] changes at pan.zipcon

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Tue Aug 5 03:12:18 PDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, al goldstein wrote:
> > Help for Windows and Mac users is essential if ogg is to flourish.
> > It's much easier for Linux and Unix users.

Funny you say that; I've always been unimpressed with the stuff that runs on
free unixlike OSs due to their spotty Unicode handling and
obviously-ID3-limited comment dialog boxes. Peter Pawlowski's (the
author of foobar2000 and the Winamp plugin) comment entry
forms don't suffer from those limitations. Last I checked, XMMS will blindly
let you tag Vorbis files in ISO-8859-1 if your system is set up that way, in
violation of the spec.

> > Are there any Mac users of ogg? If so, we need there help. Are there free
> > programs for ogg decode for any versions of OS X?
> >
> > ..........Al
>
> I use a Mac.
>
> FIAS: Frogg (http://www.poweredbyg.nu/frogg/)
> FIAB: {}
> non-free: Audion (http://www.panic.com/audion/),
>           MacAmp (http://www.macamp.com/)
>
> Unfortunately, Frogg is, er, how to say...wanting for features; it doesn't
> play more than one file at a time.
>
> Not that I am bitter.

I forgot to mention that I use XMMS when I'm in OS X; as far as I've tried,
it's the Least Bad Option Available. Not that I'd recommend installing
X11.app, the X SDK, Fink, FinkCommander, and XMMS to anyone I know with the
possible exception of one of the physics profs. As opposed to one of the
political science profs.