[vorbis] OGG - questions

Jonathan Ingram jonathan_ingram at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 8 23:46:23 PDT 2002

--- honza novak <bilbopytlik at post.cz> wrote:
> 1,I am able to play movie with OGG audio on my PC but not on another
> one though I have installed last OGG Direct show filters.
> (tobias.everwicked.com/download.php?OggDS0991.exe) I hear only audio
> but no picture.
> I have codec DivX 4.11 and DirectX8 installed.

The direct show filters are not open, so we cannot tell exactly what the
problem is, in general. In this case, I would guess that you do not have
the correct decoder for the video component of the film you are trying to
watch. Download and install FFDSHOW from
        http://cutka.szm.sk/ffdshow/ .
It supports all of the various versions of DivX.

> 2, Is it possible to extract audio from movie with OGG audio?
> Something to demux.

There's no specific tool, but you can do this. Search for GraphEdit,
and how to use it.

> 3, If I try to open movie with OGG audio in NanDub or Virtual Dub it
> fails and any errors appear.

If you've been trying to create an AVI movie with Vorbis in it, then
they're probably failing because the small amount of code written to
support Vorbis in AVI is a complete hack. It completely falls apart if
you do any seeking which watching the file, for example. This is not a
fault in Vorbis, but in MS's implementation of AVI.

If you're been trying to edit an OGG/OGM movie, then *Dub will fail
because they only support AVI.

--
Jon