[vorbis] Debian mp3->vorbis transcoding

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Mon Sep 2 04:08:17 PDT 2002

> The Ogg Vorbis community should provide users with a way to transcode
> mp3's into Vorbis. Why?  Because it would give us an opportunity to
> educate the users.

As I see it, the biggest problem with Xiph providing an mp3 -> vorbis
transcoder is licensing.  Such a transcoder requires having an mp3 *decoder*.
To my knowledge, since Fraunhofer/Thomson have "clarified" their position
regarding not-for-profit and open source/free software projects still
requiring a license, there are currently *no* GPL/BSD decoders which are in
compliance.

It seems a bit counter-productive for Xiph to write a big check to
Fraunhofer/Thomson to be able to include a mp3 decoder in some transcoding
solution, but otherwise any Free transcoder would put them in danger of legal
action.  And don't you know they'd love such an excuse to sue Xiph.

Maybe it'd be legal to release a transcoding-to-vorbis patch to the ISO
reference decoder?  But I don't think we want to go down that road again.

Only way I can see is for someone to make a WinAmp plugin that does mp3 to
vorbis transcoding, as the Nullsoft folks (a.k.a. AOL/Time Warner) have paid
Fraunhofer/Thomson the licensing fee.  Have the transcoder pop up a dialog
box saying:

"Note that to actually hear the improvement Ogg Vorbis offers, you must encode
from an uncompressed source (e.g. CD).  Since this file is being produced
from an already-compressed source (mp3), the resulting file can sound no
better than the source, and will probably sound worse (see
http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#transcode).  Are you sure you want to do this?"

        [Yes]		[No]

Of course, like any good UI, there should be a way to turn this warning off,
but it should be in a preferences menu somewhere, and not as easy as a
checkbox on the dialog box itself.

And the resulting Ogg would of course be tagged with the TRANSCODED tag.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
A girl and a boy bump into each other -- surely an accident.