[vorbis] Multichannel Encoder on TMS320

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Oct 11 07:54:09 PDT 2002

At 11:53 AM 10/11/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello All, I've an embedded system question...
>
>Anyone used a floating point DSP to do Vorbis encoding? (eg TMS320C67xx)
>I'd like to do as many mono channels as poss at maybe 16 or 22kHz sample
>rate.  There's a cripplingly expensive AAC library function which
>reckons to do 6 or more channels on one of these chips, so I guess I'll
>get something similar doing verbs.  Any advice?

I hope the compiler has improved a lot since I last used it (~1999),
since back then it was a total bitch.
This should be perfectly doable, though. Making it work shouldn't be
hard, the challenge will be speed - though this depends on how fast
your 'C67 is. One or two channels realtime should fall out with very
little work, 6 channels plus may require customisation. But I haven't
used these chips in a while, so... my advice may be outdated.

>Also, I'm planning to do it without an OS, so I guess I can't use
>libvorbis (?) Yes, I know it's good for the soul to start from scratch
>anyway.

No. libvorbis is designed to be highly portable. You may need to make
some minor alterations (mostly to header includes or defines, or
perhaps none at all), but libvorbis should work.

Mike