[vorbis] RE: Hlp in finding a native Ogg trim, fade & nomalisetool

Cherniavsky Beni scben at techst02.technion.ac.il
Sun Oct 6 10:28:17 PDT 2002

Quoting Segher Boessenkool <segher at koffie.nl>:

> Beni Cherniavksy wrote:
> > I think this:
> >
> > http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200105/0139.html
> >
> > comes from the thread which you refer to but it's the part which was
> > crossposted to vorbis-dev where some more detailed answers were given.
> > Look for the following messages by Monty and Segher...  To sum up,
> there
> > actually is a per-frame volume in Vorbis (but twiddling it might be a
> bit
> > complicated and no tools were ever written for this) and the volume of
> the
>
> With floor1, I think it's a very tiny little bit harder to change the
> per-packet volume than it was with floor0, but it's still very easy.

Great!  What's the granularity?  Is it a float or something coarse?

> > whole stream can be changed by very easy codebook manipualtion (it
> might
> > have become less easy with the introduction of channel couplig).  The
>
> No, it's still the same.
>
> > later (amplifying the whole stream) is now implemented in ReplayGain
> by
> > most self-respecting vorbis players so there is no need for the
> codebook
> > manipulation anyway...
>
> Sure there is.  ReplayGain only specifies a recommended playback gain
> value, while changing the actual stream gain, erm, changes the actual
> gain.
> Different concepts.

True - but who is going to write tools for the later when the former
acomplishes almost the same result ?-)

> > However (read above thread), there is a theretical possibility to
> > losslessly manipulate volume locally in Vorbis.  The only problem is
> that
> > the envelope is defined with packet granularity (somewhat smoothed by
> the
> > window function).  This will make the envelope sort of "wavy" which
> might
> > distort the frequency domain (any modulation does but this adds
> > higher-frequency componenets to the envelope than usually).
>
> It's a bigger problem for low frequencies.  Changing adjacent blocks by
> different gains violates the MDCT overlap-add property -> bad artifacts.

How bad?  Is it worth trying or will it be surely worse than re-encoding?

> > Another trick once suggested for fade in/out at ends of the pieces (or
> > even cross-fading) is to reencode only the ends and copy the middle
> as-is.
> > This should leave the degradation almost unnoticable.
>
> It might still be noticable at those beginnings and ends.  A better
> solution
> would be to have a meta-stream that describes how different tracks
> should
> be played back (only one track in this case, of course).  Something like
> this
> will be needed anyway, for example, for subtitle tracks on video
> streams.

That'd be ideal, of course but requires player support.  And these are
different concepts ;-).

I think Audacity does some nice lossless multi-channel envelope editing -
maybe we can steal their format?

"Windows Media Player 9 instaltion failed."
[Check disk space, admin. permissions... - all was fine.]
"The comuputer must be rebooted" [a single Finish (i.e. Reboot) button]!!!
I killed the installer and WMP worked without a reboot...