[vorbis] RE: Hlp in finding a native Ogg trim, fade & nomalise tool

Ross Levis ross.levis at cchlawbase.co.nz
Tue Oct 1 17:48:41 PDT 2002

ReplayGain is not much good for FM broadcasting, and debatable for
streaming too.  There is a limit on the peak volume that can be
broadcast on an FM signal so it is best to have a song volume of 100%
broadcast with 100% FM deviation.  If an average song volume is very
low, for example, but has some loud peaks in it, ReplayGain will
increase the volume to the extent that the peaks will be way too loud
and over-deviate the FM signal.  Of course there is usually hardware
volume compressors/limiters in line before it gets to the transmitter
but the effects are not nice.  I use very little volume compression on
my station.

Ross.
http://winvorbis.stationplaylist.com