[vorbis] How to fit Oggs in a specific amount of space?

Martin Fontaine mfont at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 21 16:13:05 PDT 2002

        I took 5 albums (Classical music) and converted them to Ogg Vorbis
at "Full Bitrate" (-q10) and all 5 directories take up about 775 Megs
which won't fit on a CD.  So I ripped them again in WAV first (And
give my friend back his CDs) but now I wanna know what quality
setting should I use to fit them on 1 CD (The highest possible with
total space used just under 700 Megs)

        Is there a tool available that will analyse WAV files and determine
the "Nominal Deviation Factor" or something like that to figure out
what quality setting I need to use to fit them in a specific amount
of space.  Is this even consistant?  By that I mean if a certain song
encoded at q4 (128k nom.) gets an average of 120kbps does that mean
the same song encoded at q8 (256k nom.) will get an average of
250kbps?  Or if it's not linear is there a way to predict the q
setting to use.

        So for files that take up 775 Megs @ q10 to fit in 700 Megs I need
to use what?  q9?  q9.5?  q9.7?  q9.8?

        There has to be a faster way than trial and error...

|      Martin Fontaine     mfont at videotron.ca      |