[vorbis] An Analysis of the c't Codec Test

Caleb caleb_ownz at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 21:03:08 PDT 2002

I found a noticable difference between -q6 and -q8..
everything below -q6 (i tested -q5.5 and -q4) had something wierd.

as if there is something in the background.. if you compare -q6 with
the cd version you can easly hear the difference even if you're deaf.
So i mainly use -q8, although the file size is huge.

I havent tested this with mp3s though.

--- Monty <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
> > I don't have my logs anymore, as it was all purly personal testing
> for
> > myself and some friends, but the fact was there that I could
> distinctly
> > hear high freq' flange and "washy sound" in Vorbis up untill about
> 7.00,
> > although I admit you had to really listen hard to even tell, the
> fact
> > remains for my music that MP3 is just plain better still for file
> size
> > to sound quality ratio =/
>
> What version of Vorbis? that sounds like the behavior of beta 3 or 4.
> Unfortunately, there are still 'new' windows encoders out there using
> the old versions.
>
> If it's a 1.0 encoder, I'd like to hear these samples myself.
>
> > Visit www.r3mix.net for very good information on MP3 encoding, it
> helped
> > me test Vorbis fairly vs MP3 at its best, not some awfull Xing or
> > default LAME setting.
>
> I personally prefer the less biased forums at Hydrogen Audio.
>
> Monty
> 'vorbis-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is
> needed.

Make sure you visit: http://www.csoftcoders.com For all your programming needs.
CSoft needs coders (Delphi, VC++,VB,PHP,etc..), so tell me if you want to join and help!