[vorbis] Rgenerating headers

Peter Maersk-Moller Peter at maersk-moller.net
Sat Nov 23 14:16:42 PST 2002

Hi

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Michael Smith wrote:
>       > >So, back to my question - is there any reason why you shouldn't
>       > >be able to completely regenerate the header packets/frames
>       > >from what I have outlined ?
>       > Unfortunately, yes. This requires that the _client_ have the encoder
>       > as well. Worse, it requires that the client have _exactly_ the same
>       > version of the encoder as the server.
>       Worse still, some encoders generate their headers partly based on the
>       actual audio encoded, not based only on the encoder settings.

Which encoders. The ones from Xiph I have been using generate the headers
before audio data is available - and thanks for that.

>       Which is a good thing really (better compression).

That was what I thought Vorbis did until I started using it.
Then I also realised that 5 secs, or 5000 secs if you like,
almost never will or can be representative for anything.
Just turn on the radio and listen for 5 secs and then try
to see if it will be representative for what you will
hear 60 secs or 600 secs later.

Kind regards