[vorbis] Rgenerating headers

Peter Maersk-Moller Peter at maersk-moller.net
Sat Nov 23 14:36:12 PST 2002

Hi Michael

> At 12:17 AM 22/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>       >Hi Michael
>       >Thx for the answer.
>       > > >So, back to my question - is there any reason why you shouldn't
>       > > >be able to completely regenerate the header packets/frames
>       > > >from what I have outlined ?
>       > > Unfortunately, yes.
>       >Why *unfortunately* ?
>       Because it'd be really useful to be able to do as you suggested,
>       so not being able to is unfortunate.

Yes, of course - I just failed to read what I had actually written.
Stupid me.

Now I'm not suggesting  you to drop the headers, just trying to
see where and when corners can be cut. That said, the headers
are for sure a pain trying to combine ultra large scale multicast
with chained Ogg/Vorbis.

Wrt. players being without encoders, that might be true. On the other hand,
the code to generate the headers does not take up much space, but that
is not the only option.

If the encoder and the decoder can ask the vorbis library for a major and
minor version number, then if the version number of the encoder is
passed out of band to the decoder, then the decoder can look in a sort
of header cache for the appropriate header and only download (or generate new)
headers if they are not present in the cache.

So access from the application to a detailed version number in the vorbis
library would be appreciated.

--PMM