[vorbis] bitrate peeling

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Nov 8 04:07:57 PST 2002

Akos Maroy wrote:
> Moritz Grimm wrote:
> > No other format that I know of supports peeling. Of course, every format
> > can be re-encoded (see above), but peeling is unique to Vorbis.
>
> RealAudio supports what they call the surestream - a format which gives
> the streamer the possibility to encode once, and then stream with
> various bitrates.

The last time I played with Real's SureStream[tm], it created the
various bitrates at encoding time and embedded them all in one big file.
Realserver then picked the appropriate stream from that huge file and
sent it to the client. That's been a few years since I tried that,
however, I doubt they changed that to "real peeling" since.