[vorbis] bitrate peeling

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Nov 7 23:34:10 PST 2002

At 07:33 AM 8/11/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Moritz Grimm wrote:
>> No other format that I know of supports peeling. Of course, every format
>> can be re-encoded (see above), but peeling is unique to Vorbis.
>
>RealAudio supports what they call the surestream - a format which gives
>the streamer the possibility to encode once, and then stream with
>various bitrates.

... Except that surestream doesn't encode once, it encodes multiple times.
All the 'smarts' are in the server, which decides dynamically which stream
to send. There is nothing equivalent to peeling here, though the bitrate
detection logic is obviously an important part of implementing a
dynamically peeling server.

Michael