[vorbis] FAQ : CPU requirements ? and other

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Sat Nov 2 06:49:23 PST 2002

David Balazic wrote:
> Also in simple terms , what is the minimum CPU required for
> real time playback of "common" vorbis files ( stereo, 44.1kHz,
> bitrate about 100-200 kbps ) ? I plan to buy an old laptop to be
> used as an universal media player in my car.

Decoding Vorbis costs slightly less CPU time than decoding MP3, while
needing more RAM. However, that's only a problem on limited hardware
like portable players. I believe Paul Martin's recommendation of ~166+
MHz is good - you might even get lower than that, because you probably
don't need graphical players like Winamp or XMMS. (Try before buy would
be a good idea, i suppose.)

And yes, the FAQ seems pretty outdated in quite a few parts. :P