[vorbis] Vorbis as a standard

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Thu Nov 21 12:38:47 PST 2002

Hi

I'm trying push for companies and government institutions to
start using Vorbis as an alternative to MP3 and to some extend
AAC so they as a benefit can ignore rigid license schemes and
expensive royalty payments. In principle it ought to be a
downhill job, but it has turned out to be a lot more difficult
than expected.

The biggest obstacle for government institutions and to some
extend for private companies is in their eyes the lack of a
standard.

Now you may say that we have the source and some documentation
so why do we need Vorbis to be a standard. Well, to answer this
you have to understand that these people are not like you and
me. These peopele are unable to accept anything that doesn't
have the word STANDARD rubberstamped all over. I have even
some across Cisco folks saying they can't be allowed to use
Vorbis because it is not a standard (and becuase it is
proprietary).

In my view, we need to get Vorbis standardized somehow
to get it more widely used. The question is, how do we
do this. We could submit for Vorbis to become a standard
under IEEE or ISO, but I don't know how to do it and these
orgs are usually slow, expensive and not what we want.
A more likely approach would be to push for a RFC under IETF,
but writing the document and get it approved would be hard work.
To make it worse, probably the only ones with sufficient
knowledge to write the RFC are the one writing the code.

Anyway, have anyone else experienced the problem ? And
what does the Xiph people have to say about it ?

--PMM