[vorbis] need speech and music in one

f u axionman2k2 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 16:42:00 PST 2002

If vorbis will go that low, fine.  I was under the
impression from a faq I skimmed some time back that
the quality setting did not range so low.

If speex is superior for the voice range, and I did
produce the cd with music tracks as .ogg and the
speech tracks in speex format, would a common decoder
read and playback both?

Here, I would be looking to the future, where playback
would be by a hardware player with a dedicated decoder
not a computer which could have decoders for dozens of
different audio formats.

Or is there a plan to incorporate the speex codec into
vorbis to optimize the voice band?  If it is unlikely
that speex will be supported for portable cd players,
then I suppose the compromise would be to use .ogg
only - but it would seem that the speex format would
allow many more hours of speech to be stored on a cd.

> f u wrote:
> > I believe that even 8khz Mono would be
> satisfactory
> > for such voice but my understanding is that ogg
> > doesn't go that low.  Now that speex has joined
> xiph,
> > will ogg be able to handle the low end for speech?
>
> 8kHz is well possible with Vorbis. Try qualities -1
> to 1 with 8kHz/mono
> and 11kHz/mono input, to find a version that you
> like best. You'll
> likely find Vorbis to give acceptable results down
> to 12-16 kbps.
> 8kHz/mono @ -q -1 is *really* low-end, however, I'm
> sure the result will
> be better than your MP3 in any case. Make sure that
> you use the 1.0
> release of Ogg Vorbis for your experiments.
>
> Speex is a pure voice codec, so you're unlikely to
> get very great
> results if your voice samples also contain music
> (although I must admit
> that I haven't done any tests, yet, since I have
> zero speech samples to
> play with). If there are voice-only samples, you'll
> get much better
> results with Speex at even lower bitrates than with
> Vorbis.
>

> Moritz
> 'vorbis-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.
> No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.

Do you Yahoo!?
http://webhosting.yahoo.com