[vorbis] bitrate peeling

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Sun Nov 10 08:33:32 PST 2002

On 2002-11-07, Anthony Frazier wrote:

> On 7 Nov 2002 at 15:53, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > theoretically, though, can you restore what you peel to get the
> > original quality back in a lossless way?that is, in any of the
> > other audio formats?
>
> This could be done, assuming that one has the "peeled" bits as well.
>
> To see something conceptually similar (although probably completely
> different in reality), check out WavPack (http://www.wavpack.com/).It's a
> lossless codec with a "hybrid" mode, where a lossy file + recovery file are
> created.
>
> It's an interesting thing, but I've never been able to contrive a situation
> where it's useful _for me_.Vorbis's peeling abilities, OTOH, have very
> obvious uses for streaming.

I see an obvious use: you download/peel a peeled version to try the music
and if you decide you like it, you only need to to download the remaining
bits and combine it with what you have to get the full file.

Assuming all servers will have the needed abilities, an ideal system would
be one where all vorbis file are special handled by your download
manager/player so that you automatically hear them in real time (with
quality dynamically depending on availiable bandwith) and the rest of the
information (or part of it, up to a quality you decide) are downloaded in
the background when the net is idle...