[vorbis] bitrate peeling

Anthony Frazier afrazier at neo.rr.com
Thu Nov 7 14:50:36 PST 2002

On 7 Nov 2002 at 15:53, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> theoretically, though, can you restore what you peel to get the
> original quality back in a lossless way?  that is, in any of the
> other audio formats?

This could be done, assuming that one has the "peeled" bits as well.

To see something conceptually similar (although probably completely
different in reality), check out WavPack (http://www.wavpack.com/).  It's a
lossless codec with a "hybrid" mode, where a lossy file + recovery file are
created.

It's an interesting thing, but I've never been able to contrive a situation
where it's useful _for me_.  Vorbis's peeling abilities, OTOH, have very
obvious uses for streaming.

                                        Pax tecum,
                                            Anthony Frazier