[vorbis] fitting lots of music into 10GB with Vorbis

Paul Martin pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 17:49:18 PST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 02:11:04AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Owen Emry wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like "non-availability of a (somewhat) good peeler" might be part of the problem after all.  Or perhaps not all of us agree on the definition of "available".  :-)
>
> Anyone who wants to try it out can download it himself.  The peeler can't do
> a good job on not-very-peelable streams.  So I won't release the code just yet.

I tried peeling a recently encoded file (using vorbis 1.0 at q6) to
96kbps (15kbps is straining things a bit). Lots of tinkling. Also loss
of top end when the signal got very complicated. However, this is to be
expected of an early attempt.

In case anyone's interested, the CD track was "One" from the original
Broadway cast recording of "A Chorus Line". To complicate things
there's tape hiss about 50dB down.

--
Paul Martin <pm at zetnet.net>