[vorbis] P2P comments thingy

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 19:28:04 PST 2002

I had an idea.
I find it really difficult to get all the correct comments into my vorbis files, especially since i mainly rely on the freedb.org connectivity within CDex to save me from the time consuming task of getting the correct data into the files, making sure everything is spelled properlly etc.

So i was just wondering if theres any viable point in the existence of a P2P comments software for vorbis.

using my fabulous talent of thinking-up-stuff-i-can't-prograrm-myself-as-of-yet, i envision it acting something like this:

oftware looks up comments in clients vorbis files.
software searches for matches to clients comments & filename (maybe vorbis comments that match freedb data from source cds)
software ask person if they wish the new comments to be tagged into the relevant file
OR
software automatically tags the comments to the relevant file

~dreams are nice arent they~
the basic idea is to save ppl time putting the correct tagging data into the files in case the encoding software doesnt tag automatically, or people wish to really see if a vorbis file can handle several terabytes of tagged data (as i remember someone explain with a load of complicated maths in the archives somewhere) without breaking itself.