[vorbis] Re: Re: fitting lots of music into 10GB with Vorbis

Rodrigo Gómez rgomez at tsradio.com.mx
Fri Nov 1 17:19:33 PST 2002

I haven't tryed speex, and, as far as I know, it is a _big_ loosy codec,
primary developed to voice chats arount the net (where the bandwith is
important) and not really a high quality codec as Vorbis is.

As others have said, you should try to encode at different rates, and see
wich suits you better. Try it with the real enviroment you will have, i.e.,
with your PA equipment. I have done some tests encoding, for example,
Sadeness from Enigma, and I can barely tell the difference between the
original WAV and a vorbis encoded with an average above 100 kbps. And I can
certanly say the difference between the original and a MP3 encoded at 192
kpbs, for example. That depends, of course, of the song.

Another idea that you could try is setting the minimum and maximum values
for the bitrate in the encoder. Setting a minimum of 0 kbps and a maximum of
256 kbps should give Vorbis a nice window to do the best job it can do (I
tryed this with the Sadeness song, using 0/500 and it gave an average of
~256 kbps), and keep the space in the minimum it needs. Or you could even
try with 0/500 and see the size. That should give vorbis the ability to
encode at the highest rate (500) for the complex and hard to encode songs,
and it could (assuming a-capela song is less complex than an orchestral song
for the codec) encode at very low bitrates the simple songs, or the simple
parts of a song.

So, resuming, I would stick with Vorbis for any kind of song.

I assumed that only in the third world, like here in México, there was
problems of unemployment. :)

Anyway, maybe you should start encoding... 55 hours of music require a lot
of time to encode.

Regards,

Rodrigo Gómez

news:008901c281fa$a858e380$1a814c51 at p1r8t3...