[vorbis] OT: Perfect Pitch

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Wed Mar 27 13:09:05 PST 2002

Monty wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 11:36:10AM +0100, Nicola Larosa wrote:
>> > I have had the dubious joy of returning an expensive ($US5k) CD player
>> > because it played flat - the clock turned out to be about .5% slow
>>
>> Five parts in a thousand?!? Let's see, a semitone is about 6%, so that's
>> about 8 cents. It's at the edge of normally hearable beatings when one
>> tunes a guitar, and you can detect this *without* any reference?!?

> Mundane, untrained hearing can detect 4-5 cents off a pitch.

I agree. Add perfect pitch, and mundane, untrained hearing can detect
4-5 points off a pitch they haven't actually heard for a few hours/
days/ weeks. I should know, that used to describe me to a T.

Now I can vaguely sing, in the sense that I can make a noise that's
often within 4-5% of the pitch I'm using as a reference ;-)

Moz

mailto:lists at moz.co.nz