[vorbis] 48000 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue Mar 26 04:46:49 PST 2002

Moz wrote:
> > I suppose. I'm working with samples at both 44.1Khz and 48kHz for
> > years now, and I could never figure out the difference. Those few
> > kHz (almost) don't matter at all.
> OK, I'm a recovered audiophile rather than a technical type, but I do
> have a vague grasp of the terms from elec engineerling lectures back
> in the dark ages of my youth. I must confess, I suppose, to the
> audiophiles curse at this point: I have perfect pitch. Tiny things

This is really impressive. :-o But still, I wasn't talking about
changing pitches, but rather the minimal advantage/difference of 48kHz
compared to 44.1kHz sample rates. You also mentioned that you had the
luck of listenig to 96kHz/32bit music... I'd never dare to deny that it
sounds a lot better than standard CD quality. :)

But it's also a fact that music at 16bit/44.1kHz can sound perfect (at
least to 99.999...% of all humans), as long as the information contained
in this bandwidth is also "perfect". Its dynamic and frequency
resolution is good enough as long as the source material (the stuff that
gets mixed and sampled down to it) is a lot better than that, because
mixing et al is a destructive process. Anything higher than CD quality
is only necessary during the making of the music - if you need that
quality, a lossy codec is not what you want/need anyways.

For the sake of convenience, it's nice that Vorbis' VBR supports 48kHz
at decent quality already, but to get back to the start of the
discussion, not all people have the equipment to play it back. To bring
highest possible satisfaction to the audience, 44.1kHz still is the
first choice. IMO.